Happy New Year! Time to ring in 2014 with a whole palletload of service changes!
- SEPTA Transit is on a Modified Weekday schedule today, and detours related to setup for the Mummers Parade will start at 10:00am. Extra trips will run on the El and Subway at around 7:00pm and midnight for those going to the Penn’s Landing fireworks. Tomorrow on New Years’ Day, the system will run on a Sunday/Holiday schedule. Expect a massive amount of detours in South Philly and Center City for the Mummers Parade.
- SEPTA Regional Rail will run an extra outbound train tonight in the 1:00am hour on every line except Airport and Cynwyd, so people can get home to the suburbs from the fireworks. Three additional trains will run inbound from Trenton at 3:30am, 5:00am, and 6:00am, connecting from westbound NJT Northeast Corridor trains carrying Times Square revelers home from New York. Tomorrow on New Years’ Day, the railroad will run a Sunday/Major Holiday schedule.
- New Jersey Transit will not run additional service on the Atlantic City Line, but the River Line will run additional service including well after midnight. NJT will also run lots of after-midnight trains out of Penn Station. Tomorrow will be a Major Holiday schedule on commuter rail and the River Line.
- PATCO is adding trips and modifying schedules for after midnight and tomorrow.
- DART First State will operate regular service today. No service will operate tomorrow. SEPTA’s extra train service will not serve stations beyond Marcus Hook, despite DART’s wishful thinking. (Memo to DelDOT: these things require you to bring your checkbook.)
One final reminder: with all this extra transit service tonight, you’d have to be very stupid to drive while intoxicated, and you’d have to be very foolish to drive tonight with all the very stupid people who will inevitably find their way onto the roads. Stay safe!
My own New Year’s plans involve radio silence through to the 2nd of January, so best wishes to everyone for a better 2014.